Experiential Learning Grant
Purpose and Description
Extracurricular experiences help students to expand upon their coursework, make an impact in their community, learn valuable skills, and bring recognition to the Fulton schools. For this reason, the office of Academic and Student Affairs offers a grant to current graduate Fulton students to help fund their extracurricular experiences. This grant is intended to facilitate travel for students to participate in experiential learning, but is not intended to fund these experiences in their entirety.
Who is Eligible?
In order to be chosen to receive this grant, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- A graduate student in the Fulton Schools
- In good academic standing
- Have applied for other funding sources to cover this opportunity besides this grant
This grant can be used to cover the following experiences
- Travel to present at a conference
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Students own ideas that meet the grant requirements
- If you are traveling domestically, you must apply at least two weeks prior to your departure date.
- If you are traveling internationally, you must apply at least six weeks prior to your departure date.
- After you submit your application, you will receive a response from Student Engagement within 14 business days.
- You can be funded once per academic year per application.
In order to submit your application, you will need to have the following things ready.
In order to apply for this grant, you will need to submit an online application that includes information about yourself and the experience you are hoping to fund. You will need documentation about the experience such as conference name, location, date, and schedule.
If you are using this grant to travel to present research at a conference, please have a 50-100 word abstract that explains to a layperson what your research is about. This abstract should be in third person.
Your personal statement should be thoughtful and well-articulated, and address one or more of the following prompts:
- What is your motivation for participating in this experience?
- What are your intended outcomes for this experience?
- How will this experience enhance your academic experience?
- What actions will you take that will maximize your learning experience?
- How does your cultural or personal background influence your interest in this experience?
We encourage you to take advantage of the different resources on campus to present a well-written personal statement. You can schedule an appointment with the Writing Center to have your personal statement looked over. We also encourage you to reach out to a faculty member within your school to provide feedback on your personal statement before application submission.
You may request funds for the following things
- Event registration
- Car rental
- Meals during the experience
- Ground transportation
- Materials/supplies needed for the experience
As part of your application, you will be asked to give specific amounts you are requesting for each category as well as the total amount.
To download your Unofficial Academic Transcript:
1. Log in to your MyASU page
2. Under the “Classes” tab in upper left corner, click on “Transcripts & Test Scores”
3. Select “Unofficial Transcript”
4. A PDF version of your Unofficial Transcript will download to your device
If you are presenting at a conference, you will need to provide proof that you have been invited to present. Otherwise, you will need documentation to prove the event is occurring.
Faculty mentor letter of support
Provide a letter from a faculty mentor who expresses support for you to engage in this experience. If you are presenting at a conference, ask your mentor to mention that in their support letter.
Record of other funding sources
Please be ready to provide documentation that you applied for other funding sources as well as for this grant
- Apply for funding through Graduate Professional Student Association (GPSA)
- Apply for funding through KEEN student funding opportunities
- Funding through your Fulton School
Expectations if funded by the Experiential Learning Grant
Each funded applicant will be required to submit a final experience assessment that summarizes the outcomes of their event/project/travel and includes a focused reflection on how the experience will enhance their engineering education and professional preparedness.