Graduate research with MORE
Graduate research with MORE > Mentor information
Students will connect with an Ira A Fulton Schools of Engineering faculty member to mentor them on a research project.
Proposals written by students will include:
- Research Proposal – (2-page limit research proposal plus an additional page for references, strictly enforced): Specifically and clearly state the research question to be investigated, including your activities and goals. Also, include how your research aligns with one of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering research themes.
- Bibliography – (1-page limit): list at least five resources you reviewed regarding your research area.
Timeline: Create a reasonable and descriptive timeline that relates to the proposed research activities for the requested semester(s).
- Budget – Students may request up to $400 dollars per semester and must submit a budget request with the proposal. MORE Symposium posters are provided for MORE students and do not need to be included in the budget. Funding cannot be requested for paying research subjects. The items requested become the faculty mentor’s property when the semester ends.
- Personal Statement – (1-page limit): write about the relationship between your personal goals and the proposed research activity.
- Resume – students will submit a current resume, showing transferable skills and abilities. Contact the Fulton Engineering Career Center for help creating or updating your resume.
- Unofficial Transcript – students will submit an unofficial transcript. Students must be in academic good standing to be eligible for MORE. It is recommended that students have at least a 2.5 GPA.
- MORE Faculty Mentor Proposal Support Letter – Students will receive approval from their faculty mentor to submit the proposal. Faculty will submit a letter of support.
Proposal evaluation criteria
- The research question or hypothesis to be investigated is well-thought out and described.
- There is a clearly defined research plan that describes the tasks that will be conducted in order to answer the research question.
- The timetable is descriptive and correlates with the research plan defined in the proposal.
- The proposal provides a concise review of the research previously published relevant to the proposed work with appropriate citations.
- The personal statement demonstrates that the student is motivated and aligns with the proposed research activities.
- The resume demonstrates an ability to achieve goals and participation in activities.
- The overall transcript illustrates good academic standing and the student’s ability to manage the course load and research.
- The proposal explicitly states how the research aligns with at least one of the five Fulton research themes.
- The proposal support letter strongly endorses the student’s abilities and preparation for the project and demonstrates a clear commitment toward the student’s project as a mentor.
Important eligibility criteria
A graduate TA/RA cannot have an appointment that exceeds 50% (20 hours per week) in the Fall/Spring semesters. MORE counts as 5 hours per week for the semester. If you hold a graduate TA/RA position at 25%-49% (10-19 hours per week) then you could receive the MORE stipend, as long as it does not exceed a 50% Full-time equivalent (FTE).
Therefore, students in 20 hours per week TA/RA positions are not eligible for MORE.
MORE Student applications for Spring 2021 are due by 12 p.m. (noon) on October 21st, 2020, here: https://fultonapps.asu.edu/more/apply/
Faculty mentor support letters are due by 12 p.m. (noon) on October 22nd, 2020, here: https://fultonapps.asu.edu/more/
Students with questions can contact email@example.com.